Chronicle story, Mercury News, Stockton Record
(11-12) 17:23 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- Three members of a Lodi family who ate so-called death cap mushrooms are hospitalized in intensive care in San Francisco, officials said Thursday.
The mushrooms, formally known as Amanita phalloides, are among the world's most lethal. They are starting to sprout in the Bay Area because of the recent rains, presenting a particular risk to immigrants who mistake them for harmless varieties found in their native countries. Even experienced mushroom gatherers have been fooled into believing death caps to be edible.
NBC4 news also did a story, however, they royally messed up by posting a photo not of the deadly Amanita phalloides, but of the most famous magic mushroom in the world, the sub tropical Psilocybe cubensis, which doesn't grow in the Bay Area unless it's indoors in a terrarium. Somebody at Channel 4 NBC is trippin hard on shrooms, man. Intentional or not, it's extremely irresponsible to post the wrong photo, replacing a deadly one with a non deadly one, and could result in future poisonings (the chronicle posted the correct photo, also an AP photo) (NBC Bay Area has since changed the photo. The story itself is just a repost from January 6th, made to look like a current story. The current story is in the Chronicle)
This is the real mushroom the Lodi family ate, available from the Mycological Society of San Francisco website, Amanita phalloides, the death cap
The Chronicle also had some errors, although the photo was correct. See the comment section
a poster made by the North American Mycological Society can be ordered for free for educational purposes. This poster includes warnings in Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Cambodian, Laotian, Vietnamese, and Thai. Incidents of mushroom poisoning have been notable in people speaking these languages, newly arrived in North America.
and finally, here's your NBC Bay Area K-Mart school of journalism key to toxic fungi, duuuude