Bird’s-eye-view of ruins of San Francisco from Captive Airship, almost one month after the 1906 earthquake
600 feet above Folsom between Fifth and Sixth Streets May 16, 1906. This is facing north toward Mid Market and 6th street is the first street on the left, and 5th is on the right.
This photograph is looking straight up Mary alley (just to the left of the white line) Mary alley goes north from Folsom through Natoma and Minna alleys to Mission street and Mint Plaza, where the Old Mint, known as the “Granite Lady’ is one of the few buildings that survived the earthquake of 1906. The Old Mint is just to the right of the center line, center of photograph
Also, Mary alley (mary street) is part of San Francisco lore and history about how many of the South of Market alleys got their names
You can see the old San Francisco City Hall in ruins on the far left and just before it the old federal court house and post office which is now the US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals at 7th and Mission streets. The white line in the center of the photograph crosses Market Street almost exactly where the new Market Street Place will be built near the intersection of Turk, Mason and Market streets with Powell and 5th and Market just to the right
Original TIFF image is here