Many people have seen this since it came out in 2005 on the dvd ‘A Trip Down Market Street. What is new is that it’s been cleaned up and a new soundtrack added, and it’ was aired on 60 Minutes with new info dating it to just days before the 1906 earthquake and fire. Last year, The Chronicle posted an article about new information that places this film in April 1906.. Since then, the Library of Congess has updated their page and so has The Prelinger Collection. This new cleaned up 60 Minutes version was just posted today on Youtube
Library of Congress update
UPDATE: “Produced as part of the popular Hale’s Tours of the World film series, the film begins at the location of the Miles Brothers film studio, 1139 Market Street, between 8th and 9th Streets; it was filmed 14 April 1906, four days before the devastating earthquake and fire of 18 April 1906, which virtually destroyed the entire downtown area. The negative was taken by train to the Miles New York office on 17 April 1906, narrowly saving it from destruction by one day and thus preserving a moment in the history of San Francisco that would soon cease to exist”–Internet movie database, viewed October 21, 2010. According to an April 30, 2010 article in the San Francisco chronicle and in a 60 minutes television segment broadcast on October 17, 2010, silent film historian David Kiehn determined from the depiction in the film of the puddles in the cavities by the rails on the street–and especially autos driving through puddles splashing water–that the film could not have been shot in September 1905 as that month was “bone dry.” After searching weather reports in a number of San Francisco newspapers, Kiehn learned that no heavy rain was reported until late March and into early April of 1906. Further research uncovered an April 28, 1906 advertisement for the film in the theatrical magazine, the New York Clipper, suggesting that the film was shot on or around April 12, 1906 due to the long lead time for print ads for magazines of the day and the amount of time required to ship the film to New York by train. Kiehn also confirmed that one of cars in the film with license plate number 4867 had been registered in early 1906.